Emergency Wildlife Bush Fire Relief- Surf Coast Animal Rescue Services
Surf Coast Animal Rescue Services is urgently raising funds (generously auspiced by Winged Horse Equine Inc) to attend to the needs of wildlife affected by the Christmas Day Lorne/Wye River bushfires in Victoria, Australia, which has hit hardest in one of the most densely populated wildlife areas in the Otway Ranges, also home to one of few Victorian koala populations.
Millions of native animals have perished, with many thousands more injured and needing immediate attention. The worst of the fires are now contained, but emergency services have warned these fires could last for weeks and flare up again over what is forecast to be a hot, dry summer with record breaking temperatures.
As the centre of the bushfire zone is opened up in coming days, hundreds of native animals will require rescuing and we anticipate that the rescue efforts will continue for weeks, perhaps months. We are seeking assistance for the purchase of medical equipment, fire-suitable rescue gear, transportation costs, professional veterinary costs, species-specific burn creams and bandages. These items are required urgently and all donations, no matter the size, are most welcome. We are also hoping to provide wildlife rescue kits to all our active volunteers so that no animal is left without the immediate care they require.
We are a volunteer organisation with volunteers who have been rescuing wildlife in the Surf Coast region for 25 years.
By supporting us, you help us to:
– provide immediate veterinary care to injured wildlife
– transport wildlife out of the fire zones
– provide ongoing rehabilitation of wildlife until they are ready to be returned to the wild
– place orphaned wildlife in long-term foster care
– supply wildlife rescuers with efficient wildlife rescue kits
– supply wildlife carers with ongoing medical supplies
– provide public awareness and educational programs specific to the rescue of wildlife in the region.
Donate generously and thank you for your support